Friday, July 11, 2014

Saying "see you later" to Seattle

A little intro: I moved to this beautiful city after living in Spain for two years. Seattle seemed like a soft spot to land after being in Europe and as a teen it had always been an alluring city to me. I accepted an offer to teach at UW while completing my own grad degree. My Master's thesis explored the theme of travel in the works of Spanish novelist Ray Loriga...funny to think about that now as I am about to set off on my biggest trip yet...

Seattle skyline (Photo Credit: Dad, 2011)
The last month has been BUSY. I took my state certification teaching exam, sold, donated or gave away most of my possessions (Yay for Craig's List!), cleaned my apartment, practiced Yoga daily (especially loved classes with Liz at the Shala!), kept reading about Burma, got travel injections, threw a "See You in Asia" party and saw as many friends as often as I could. All the while I kept wondering - will everything I want/need actually fit in my car? At the time of writing (in a sparkling apartment accompanied only by this laptop and my wireless router), I am happy to report that, yes, my new life fits into my car! I feel like a turtle, setting off with everything I need inside my shell.

Goodbyes or even see you laters are not easy and I know they are harder for the ones staying. I love my friends and I appreciate that you all have been supportive as I sought international work and so happy for me as I've prepared for this transition. You know how to keep in touch and I expect to hear from you. :) I understand that it's not the same as living in the same city, or state, or country, but we will meet again.
The Last Supper - at Barrio with my besties
For now, I gotta drive.

What I'm listening to: Nacho Vegas, Conor Oberst - Upside Down Mountan and Xoel López - Atlántico

No comments:

Post a Comment